Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Preschool Panic!

So I'm sitting at the playground with my kids, talking to another mom when it suddenly hits me.........My son is starting preschool! I'm not really sure what scares me most, how he'll behave or what I'll do with the extra time. I'll admit neither me nor my oldest son were prepared for preschool and I was a helicopter mom, I don't want to do that to my soon-to-be four year old. After the initial panic set I realized I have done nothing to prepare him for this momentous occassion. So I searced the net and got in tune with my previous teacher self and compiled a list of ways to prepare your child for that first day.

-Get Your Child Involved: Interaction with other children his/her age is the best way to get them ready. Play dates, playgrounds, children's museums. Anywhere that they have to interact, share and play fair is a great place to prepare your child.

-Talk About What To Expect: Make sure to let your child know what to expect from school. Don't tell them that it's all going to be okay because they are bound to run into some trouble those first few days (especially if they're not used to being without you). Find and read books about starting preschool together.

-Build A Strong Good-Bye Routine: Make sure to let your child that you WILL be back to pick him/her up. As a former teacher, some good advice that will make it easier for both your child and the teacher, Don't linger. Say good-bye then leave, saying good-bye then hanging around only makes it harder for your child when you do go.

-Read Everyday: Building those listening skills is key. Reading helps your child sit and stay focused, this will come in handy  for lots of activities done in preschool class rooms.

-Get Creative: Get your child in tune with his/her inner artist. Paint (with brushes, sponges, fingers and toes). Play different kinds of music for your kids to paint to, getting creative can help your little one relax and express themselves.

I know it's a little early to worry so much about this but preparing early is never a problem. I'll add on to this list and repost the closer we get to school starting. Do you have any suggestions or ways that you prepared your children? Please share with us. Thank you for reading and I hope this helps.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment