Thursday, September 1, 2011

Facebook Status Etiquette

I have a friend who is constantly spouting his political and religious beliefs on Facebook. He has very strong beliefs about politics, religion, philosophy and various other issues in the world and while he has the right to voice his opinion, I honestly no longer care to read his status updates. This month his main focus in 9/11, he will be posting a new documentary and/or news about this horrible event everyday until the anniversary. Now I would like to clarify that I feel that remembering what happened on that day is very important, he on the other hand is a conspiracy theorist and believes it was an "inside job". I'm not sure what bugs me more....having to read his theories or that I feel he is berating the lives lost that day by making his theories seem more important. Do you have a friend or friends that use Facebook to spout their own beliefs about politics, religion....etc? If so how do you handle it? Do you feel it's appropriate for people to do this?


*note: Sorry for the rant. Also I hope I have not offended anyone with this post.

1 comment:

  1. Not offensive at all. I struggle sometimes with mentioning something politically - that I want to say and not get a crazy, spout fest going on my facebook. I keep political comments to a minimum. I had one friend, who turned every comment I made into a political comment. For example, I said I was thinking about the kids in my hometown school (many states away). There were consolidations, etc. and it was a horrible first day for everyone. Anyway, this FB friend goes off about politics, the wealthy, etc. My response to him was "this was not political." His response: "Everything is political, my dear." So I unfriended him. My other FB friends and I agree to disagree. This guy had no way to turn it off. So, I did it for him .

    ReplyDelete